Monday, July 4, 2011

Mexico Week 23: Teaching Baptism, Learning Promptings of the Spirit

Hey there everyone!!


Well this week has been a pretty good one!! We worked really really hard and got alot done! In this week we lost one of our investigators, Oscar, because he didn't do good in school so he is grounded the whole summer, so he is not allowed to get Baptized now, which stinks hahaha. This past week it has rained alot because apparently there was a hurricane in Vera Cruz and also a cold front. It has gotten really cold here really fast!! I hear that the rain will just get worse starting in a couple of weeks hahaha so I cant wait :)


So this past week was an interesting one with this investigator Hermana Juana. She is the one who has listened to the lessons before but 15 years ago! She loves the lessons but does not want to get Baptized. Well my comp and I really thought it was because she had no testimony of the BOM. We really worked hard on her getting to read and pray about the BOM. Well she did it, and the last time that I went to visit her we were on divisions with other Elders, and she said that she knew it was true but she still turned down Baptism!!  Well I gave an example about how to enter into the door to heaven...we need a key. That key is Baptism. If you are Baptized without the proper authority or in the wrong form, you have a key but the wrong one. She still turned it down. I ask if she loved her husband and wanted to live with him forever, she said yes! But she turned it down again. Then I asked "If God Himself was here right now and commanded you to be Baptized, would you do it?" She said yes! Then I told her that He is here in the form of two young boys and that He called us by a Prophet to help people take upon themselves this Covenent. Well she turned it down again. It was depressing after that lesson but I feel that she will get Baptized at some point. She only wants to learn but nothing else. Well I just want her to get Baptized and nothing else, so we shall see who wins hahaha ;) JK JK! We have a lesson with her tomorrrow so we will see what happens.

Well with Hermana Imelda, well she came to church yesterday and liked it. She asks alot of questions and really understands everything and reads and prays but she still doesn't know it its true. Well we ask her if she feels different when she reads and prays, and she says that she really feels peaceful and wants to keep reading. Well we keep telling her that that is her answer. Well she wants something a little stronger and more sure before she changes. She is willing to change but only with an answer because she is really Catholic haha. We also have an appt with her tomorrow.

Well this past week I have really studied alot about how I can better understand the promptings of the Spirit so that I can follow them. I have learned that personal revelation is a process. The Lord teaches us here a little and there a little. Line upon line. He just asks that we are worthy, prayerful, and diligent in following, not trying, but following the promptings AND looking for them. This past week I have learned alot from the Spirit and look forward to feeling it more in my life so that I may help the people who need this message. Hahaha and I have been having constant dreams about me being district leader in the next change. I don't know if that is revelation, but we shall see next Monday when we have changes hahaha!

This past Friday we had a ward activity which was fun! It was a night of talents and dancing, but not for us. It was a night of teaching and contacting all the visitors who came and we got some appts so I am really excited about that!! Speaking of that I want to know how you guys are doing on your Missionary work? Do you guys talk to friends and neighbors about the gospel and then give these references to the Missionaries? If not then DO IT! It is a commandment from the Lord (D&C 18:29) Without members, Missionaries can't do a thing. I urge you to do your Missionary work. In the past month we have gotten 18 references from the members. What do you guys think about that? I think it is not sufficient in the work of the Lord. WE NEED MORE! So I hope you guys are doing better than this ward! SHARE THE GOSPEL! Christ did not just teach by example but He opened His mouth and testified! DO THE SAME! But you must talk to your friends. A reference is someone who WANTS to listen, not someone you THINK wants to listen. There is a difference in the word reference and suggestion. I would like to check on this homework every 2 weeks so let me know :) And yes, I meant to be direct in that topic :)

Well I love and miss you all!! I hope all is well! Remember the Lord loves you all and is blessing you for all that you do! :)


Love,
Elder Brady Lester
post signature

No comments: