Monday, January 31, 2011

News from Mexico

Hey everybody!!! 

So I only have a little time because we have been going everywhere trying to find internet that works and we have an appointment in 30min. Anyways, I am in Huacaltzingo Puebla. It is two hours away from the city of Puebla. It's a farming town. Everybody here is so loving and so humble even though they have nothing!!!! I am about 2 hours away from the city of Puebla, and only every Wednesday do we go into Puebla for meetings. Life here is good though! I don´t understand a thing which is sad because I really want to help the people here. Hopefully soon I will be able to :)

The first night here, when we arrived, we all went to the mission home and ate sloppy joes and potato chips that Sister Rex made. They were yummy!! Anyways we just ate and went straight to bed that night. That was the last night with the Elders I have been with for 2 months, haha.


Anyways the next day we got up had pancakes and went to the mission offices. We received some training and President Rex interviewed us :) He and his wife are great people!!


First look at Puebla Mexico - January 29, 2011

So we got our JP Morgan Chase cards and learned about that. Today we went to the bank and I got my first pesos!!! Cool looking money, haha. Anyways that day we got our trainers. My trainer is Elder Villalba and he is from Chihuahua Mexico. He is way cool!! He speaks a little bit of English which is nice. He is a hard worker, so loving, very patient, and just fun!!
Elder Villalba - Trainer Companion
So the first night we went to our house and then left to go talk to people! We went to Hermana Dolores house and I met her and we ate. She is the Relief Society president in the branch here. Here in Huacaltzingo 600 people live here and about 250 are members, but only about 70 are active. I hope we can change that soon!! Anyways my first meal was some spinach in some tomato broth, then we had this soup with chicken in it. I could not eat it. It was so HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! They felt bad but I tried saying it was ok :) Anyways I just ate beans and the best tortillas in the world!!! So good!! After that we just went around talking to other members and inviting them to church. 

Yesterday was Sunday and we went to Church after our studies. I have church at 10:00 AM but we leave at 9:00 AM because it takes about 20 minutes to walk there, haha. We walk far!!!!!!! When we go really far we take a bus (which is a charter bus). One time the bus driver stopped, got out, and bought a coke on the side of the street, and then kept going. Hahaha it was weird but funny!

Anyways church was nice! President Rex and his wife came which was a surprise to all. After Church we went and ate with the ward mission leaders family Hermano Guadalupe. Great food! Best rice ever, and the tortillas here are great! We had some soup with chicken again, but it wasn´t as hot, but still hot. At least I could eat it. After that we taught some investigators the Plan of Salvation and they seemed very receptive. So far we have three Baptism dates for February 12th, but they need to come to church before they can be Baptized. Hopefully this week we work hard with them.

Last night we went to Fernando´s house, a member, and role played with him on how to invite his friends to hear a message from us. I was his friend and I understood almost everything he said which is a miracle because I can´t understand anyone here. They all speak so fast!!! Anyways some of the members, including Fernando, want to learn English so they are happy an American is here. I helped Fernando for about 30 min last night and he is very good. When we go to Puebla tomorrow I am going to get him an English Book of Mormon. 

Anyways, yeah life is good here...I am home sick though. I don´t understand a thing and everything is so dirty and nasty. I feel bad for these people. All they have are a couch, table, tv, stove, and beds. Which is pretty much the same that I have, haha. I do have a shower...concrete wall with a shower head. Sometimes the gas doesn´t work so like this morning when that happens we can´t take a shower, hahaha. Today we went shopping after our studies. We got some food and supplies.


We do wash laundry at a members home who has a washing machine, but after the cycle we have to ring out the water and hang dry our clothes. Yes we do have purified water. The members all give us good water or soda, hahaha. They feed us really good. We always have food in our bellies. The houses here are pretty much a square brick/concrete house with a concrete floor. There are tons of bugs and spiders in the houses and it always smells. I am really really glad we live in America and I am missing it right now. Hopefully once I understand a little of what they say I will be fine, haha. Some people here don´t like me as much since I am from Arizona and we passed a law that they all hate here. Hopefully I don´t get in trouble with that, haha. 

Anyways I think I answered all the questions? Can't wait to hear from you and I miss and love you all!!!!! :)

First Home in Haucaltzingo, Puebla Mexico




Elder Lester's Desk



Elder Lester's bed has the tan blanket

Love, 
Elder Brady Lester
post signature

No comments: