Sunday, November 14, 2010
Farewell Gathering Arizona
Here we are at the Farewell Gathering for Brady. It was a lot of fun planning this and I was really happy with how it turned out. David and Shauna Handy hosted the gathering at their beautiful home. I had a table set up with a journal..."and upon these I write the things of my soul..." (2 Nephi 4:15), for people to share some of their thoughts with Elder Lester. There was also some address cards I had printed up, as well as a sign up sheet for anyone interested in following the blog where I would be updating Brady's letters that he writes home.
I also made a poster which shows Brady when he was 18 months old at Temple Square wearing his white shirt and tie with a future missionary tag on. I put his Mission Call, Map of the Mission, and Mission President information on ther poster as well.
We had this great dessert bar featuring colors of the Mexican Flag. Dawn made a center piece for her famous cupcakes to sit on. She even painted it to resemble the Mexican Flag. She also made chocolate covered strawberries and brought all her cute bowls and jars for all the food. For the Green we served Brocolli, grapes, green m&m's, sour punch straws and sour patch kids. For the red we served grape tomatoes, red bell pepper, red m&m's, red sour patch kids, and red vines. For the white we served ranch dressing, cauliflower, powdered donuts and popcorn. Brady loves popcorn! Carla made homemade oreos with green, white and red frosting. We also had yummy salsa that Shauna made and I got some queso from Costa Vida. It looked fantastic! So thankful for best friends!
Here are some of the special people who came to say goodbye to Brady. I am missing several pictures, like the Handy's (I can't believe we never got that picture - Brady's family!), Kathy Plowman, Pam Beaty's, Bay's, Meadow's, Renee Palfreyman and probably more.
From top left: McCains, John and Kathy Holmes, (he was our Bishop from the Crystal Shores ward and serves as our High Council Representative), Byron and Myna Rasmussen, (So close to Brady and served as Brady's escort when he went to the Temple to received his own endowments), Ruth Sullivan, (friend and Brady's Sunday School teacher for years - he still would go to her classes at age 19!), Lynn McAurthur, (dear friend, supporter and her husband Skip was Brady's Deacon's qourum leader), Reinhilde and Harold Riley, (she came to the Temple when Brady went for his own endowments), Van, Sarah and Kevin Rowse (the dearest of friends - Brother Rowse has played such a special role in Brady's life serving as his Teacher's qourum leader and also who Brady gave his Eagle Scout Mentor pin to. Brother Rowse still wears that pin next to the one from his own son. I love Brother Rowse because we both cry when we talk about Brady - so much love!), Diana LeDonne, Karen Gruninger, Bishop and Suzanne Lunt, (great Bishop and support to Brady and our family), Jeanne McAuthur (so sweet and has always been interested in Brady serving his mission. She kept asking when he turned his papers in and has been such a great supporter of Brady), Ryan Ferrell (President Ferrell's son, who got to know Brady working at the tie warehouse. Brady loves Ryan and appreicates all the mission advice he received), Joey and Cambi McCullough (such great friends and example to Brady. Joey would always call Brady and Kasey to play Elders basketball on Thurs. nights), Nancy and Dick Hansen (long time friends and home teachers to us a few years ago), David Benson and Fred Gretsch (former Bishop, and Brady would home teach Fred and Ann), Jody & Charlie Adams (Aunt and Uncle), Brother & Sister Wardrop (grandparents of the ward and love Missionary work - they have a grandson serving in Mexico City), Julie, Howard and Jonathan Taylor (Aunt, Uncle, Cousin), and Scott and Tara Turner (leader and example), and here's Grandma...
It was such a wonderful evening and I know Brady felt very special to have so many people wish him well on his mission. He has received so much good advice and support from everyone. What was even more of a surprise was him receiving financial gifts. Brady received enough to pay for one month in the mission field. So thoughtful and such a blessing! Thank you everyone for your kindness and love towards Brady and our family. Your care and example over the years has meant so much. This just shows how so many people through the years make such an impact and help to teach our children. That's what the Gospel does. I thank you all.
Labels:
Dessert Bar,
Family,
Farewell Gatherings,
Friends,
Mexican Flag
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment